Robotic Spine Surgery
Robotic Spine Surgery
Spine surgery can be an invasive surgery that requires a lengthy recovery time.
At the Orthopaedic and Spine Surgery Institute, we are experts in performing complex robotic spine surgery for patients of all ages.
This minimally invasive approach reduces radiation exposure and allows for quicker recovery times.
Our surgical care, personalized approach and convenient location in Baltimore makes us your destination for robotic spine surgery.
Other advantages of this approach include:
- Lower infection rate
- More accurate placement of implants
- Reduces injury to tissue and muscle, allowing for quicker recovery and less pain
- Shorter length of stay in hospital after surgery
- Shorter procedure time
With the aid of Mazor X™ robotic technology, OSSI’s highly skilled spine surgeons can minimize spine surgery recovery and maximize your results. This procedure offers significant symptom relief so you can get back to the life you enjoyed before back pain – possibly starting on the same day you have surgery.
What is Mazor X™ spine surgery?
Mazor X is a robotic system that assists physicians during spine surgery. It is the first commercially available robot for spine surgery. Robotic technology in spine surgery may optimize surgery results while helping lessen the toll surgery can take on you, leading to faster relief for more people.
How does Mazor X™ spine surgery work?
The Mazor X system consists of three pieces that work together to help surgeons perform a precise, effective spine surgery:
- 3-D surgery planning: Advanced computer tools use 3-D images to help physicians create a detailed plan for your surgery. Viewing your spinal anatomy in detail allows doctors to plan the details before or even during surgery, leading to increased precision.
- Intra-operative guidance: Robotics technology guides the surgical tools and implants according to the plan.
- Verification tools: During a surgical procedure, innovative tracking and imaging technology add an extra measure of safety to ensure all the movements and positioning follow the surgical plan.
What spine conditions can Mazor X™ surgery treat?
OSSI spine surgeons use Mazor X to effectively treat many spine conditions, including:
- Degenerative disk disease
- Scoliosis or curvature of the spine
- Herniated disk
- Vertebral fractures
- Adult and pediatric spinal deformity
- Complex spinal reconstruction
- Degenerative spine conditions
- Minimally invasive surgical procedures of the spine
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic spinal injuries
- Tumor reconstruction